Sophie in Cards

In the thursday themed session this week, I continues on with the card project that I mentioned in the previous post. Things were made slightly more difficult by the fact that I had mis-printed my templates, and only had nine “full size” cards (for the displays like the one below I adjust the sizes so they are identical), so tried compacting several onto one card at the beginning. Nonetheless, It was an interesting experience to do lots of small pictures again.

One problem I found this time was my speed of drawing – on the longer, 40 minute pose I all but ran out of things to do – the last five pictures were all done during the same post. Whether this is because I am getting better, or just faster, I don’t know, but I do know that I am not happy with any of the faces that I drew – for some reason I find it very difficult to capture Sophie’s likeness, and don’t think I ever have yet.

November Project: Pack of Cards

Card Template

So, November has rolled around and that means that I have a new project to start! After a bit of flip-flopping over what to do, I’ve settled on making a pack of cards! It’s something that I have been thinking about for a while, since I started using indesign to make printable templates. The other direct idea was making bookmarks, which is still on the table as a possibility, but isn’t really a big enough project.

So, playing cards. Assuming I am going to do the whole pack, I can see doing a couple of things; Either having one model per suit, or one model per card value. At the moment, I plan to do the latter, but things can always change over the course of the month. This means that there is a bit more variation, as I can fit many more models in.

I started drawing on Wednesday this week, with Johanna modelling. I have in mind for Johanna to be the value #1, as she was one of the very first models I ever drew, way back at White Night 2010, but at this moment I haven’t marked the suits or numbers on. I actually managed to get 13 pictures drawn in one session, because of the size of the drawing I was doing. Rather than adding them all separately to the gallery, I have collated them into one image, seen below.

It was an interesting experience. Not only did I have to constrain myself to the predefined spaces (which I discovered in the past is pretty hard) but I’ve never actually drawn models on this small a scale before – it’s surprisingly different, but an interesting challenge. It was also nice to have time to move around; I drew three separate pictures for the 40 minute pose, which was interesting (This brings to mind another project idea of drawing the same multi-week pose from lots of different angles).

So, the project is off to a start, and although I have a lot of work (and decisions) ahead of me, I am greatly looking forwards to it!