So, November has rolled around and that means that I have a new project to start! After a bit of flip-flopping over what to do, I’ve settled on making a pack of cards! It’s something that I have been thinking about for a while, since I started using indesign to make printable templates. The other direct idea was making bookmarks, which is still on the table as a possibility, but isn’t really a big enough project.
So, playing cards. Assuming I am going to do the whole pack, I can see doing a couple of things; Either having one model per suit, or one model per card value. At the moment, I plan to do the latter, but things can always change over the course of the month. This means that there is a bit more variation, as I can fit many more models in.
I started drawing on Wednesday this week, with Johanna modelling. I have in mind for Johanna to be the value #1, as she was one of the very first models I ever drew, way back at White Night 2010, but at this moment I haven’t marked the suits or numbers on. I actually managed to get 13 pictures drawn in one session, because of the size of the drawing I was doing. Rather than adding them all separately to the gallery, I have collated them into one image, seen below.
It was an interesting experience. Not only did I have to constrain myself to the predefined spaces (which I discovered in the past is pretty hard) but I’ve never actually drawn models on this small a scale before – it’s surprisingly different, but an interesting challenge. It was also nice to have time to move around; I drew three separate pictures for the 40 minute pose, which was interesting (This brings to mind another project idea of drawing the same multi-week pose from lots of different angles).
So, the project is off to a start, and although I have a lot of work (and decisions) ahead of me, I am greatly looking forwards to it!